June 23, 2012

Strawberry Meringue Cupcakes



I really enjoyed looking at MingMakesCupcakes, but I never had the time to try some of her recipes. I got the chance to bake with Joyce and we chose "cupcake 2." The cupcake itself was easy to make, but the topping was a little tricky...at least it was for us. Lesson learned: the order of the recipe steps are important. For the topping, we mixed the egg whites and sugar together, thus turning the topping mixture into a liquid mess. We attempted it again and gradually poured the sugar into the already beaten egg white mixture. The topping mixture came out thick and smooth, perfect for Joyce's lovely frosting peaks. I know I say this every time, but these cupcakes are delicious! The sweetness comes from the strawberries instead of the frosting. The cupcakes look a lot more complicated than they really are. I will definitely be trying more of the recipes from Ming Makes Cupcakes.